Welcome to Atlanta!
By Patricia Sampson, Manager of Retail Shops & Visual Merchandising at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia; and MSA First Vice President
Hello from Atlanta!
The city of Atlanta has been too busy! Since its re-opening last Spring, Atlanta has been busy keeping its communities healthy and safe, busy fighting social injustice, and busy welcoming its visitors and guests to the Gateway of the South. While some things in the city have changed, one thing remains the same --and that’s the Southern hospitality and charm that Atlanta is known for.
I’m excited to welcome the Museum Store Association back to Atlanta as we once again partner with the International Market Centers. Our relationship with IMC continues to flourish and is one that I believe will last for years to come. Their generosity and willingness to embrace our community has been phenomenal! To kick off the Summer Trade Show season, IMC and MSA will unveil the new Gallery Collection at the July Atlanta Market at AmericasMart.
This will be the first face-to-face gathering for MSA members since COVID -- and the Florida, South Atlantic, and Southwest Central chapters have planned a week filled with networking events, cultural tours, and chapter gatherings.
If you are planning to attend the July Atlanta Market @ AmericasMart, get ready for lots of shopping, networking, and getting together with old friends!
To start the week off, we’ll have an opening reception at the High Museum of Art with a special tour of the Calder-Picasso exhibition. The next day, be ready to roll at the MSA Networking Breakfast and Roundtable followed by the opening of the IMC/MSA Gallery Collection in BLDG 3 FL 2, and an MSA Chapter Happy Hour at Trader Vic’s. On Thursday, join us for a bus ride to the beautiful Atlanta Botanical Gardens for drinks and a garden tour. (Please note that these networking events are open to registered attendees only. Registration for the networking events is now closed.)
AmericasMart is one of the largest wholesale shopping venues in the country, filled with showrooms and temporary expo halls. To make the most of your trip, make sure that you have a game plan put together.
- Pre-register - This is the best way to gain quick and easy access to market. IMC has moved to a digital badge so it will be easy to download right to your cell phone. (Note: To register for a badge or if you have any questions, please contact email@example.com.)
- COVID PPE - When you arrive for Market, a mask may be required in some locations and social distancing is a must. Check at the Market for any updates.
- On Your Mark, Shop! - The best way to get around AmericasMart is with the handy AmericasMart App. This makes navigating the building so much easier. Also know that many of the showrooms are asking that you make appointments. This is the best way to see and work the lines that you need and will help you to get the most out of your visit.
Atlanta is a hot spot for fine dining and good food! I know that you may have a favorite restaurant, bar, or gathering spot that you like to visit while in town, but unfortunately the events of the past year have caused some of them to close. It is best to call before you go, check the hours of operations, or make a reservation before venturing out. Also, you may need to be a little patient as wait times may be longer than usual.
If you find that your favorite spot has closed, here are a few that I would recommend:
- Botica (1820 Peachtree Rd. NW, Atlanta, GA 30309)
- JCT. Kitchen & Bar (1198 Howell Mill Road, Atlanta GA 30318)
- Baffi (976 Brady Ave NW, Suite 110, Atlanta, GA 30318)
- Delbar (870 Inman Village Parkway NE, Suite 1, Atlanta, GA 30307)
- Ponce City Market (675 Ponce De Leon Ave NE Atlanta, GA 30308)
I hope that you will join us -- and look forward to seeing you in the ATL!
Patricia Sampson is the Manager of Retail Shops & Visual Merchandising at the High Museum of Art in Atlanta, Georgia. Patricia began her career in profit retail in her home state of New York. She wore many different hats in her young career from assistant buyer, to buyer, and even fashion show coordinator. All of these experiences have been instrumental to her success in her current position at The High. Patricia is a dedicated and passionate member of MSA. She has previously served on MSA chapter and national committees, on the regional board of the South Atlantic Chapter, and now serves a third term on the MSA Board of Directors. Lastly, Patricia is an avid sports fan, volleyball being her favorite. She enjoys sewing, cooking and spending quality time with family and friends.